[Asterisk-Users] IAXy - anyone using them yet?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Oct 5 13:51:00 MST 2004

> Maybe I'm missing the point, but IAXy doesn't relate to the Cisco
> switch at all.

They're saying that it won't link.  That's bad.

> I don't view IAXy as a product to compete with SPA-x000
> devices. IAXy is a little bit of magic that extends the usefullness of
> Asterisk. Truthfully, IAX2 is the magic...IAXy is just one end of the
> wire when * is the other.

That's one way to look at it.

> That I can provide an IAX2 based transport that punches through NAT
> devices is simply marvelous. That it's a "dumb"-ish device is ok as I
> don't need it to do anything fancy. That's what my diaplan is for.

However, it needs to be able to be attached to the network, and failing
to connect to a major vendor's switch product is a bad thing.  The lack
of DNS handling will probably mean that it won't be deployed in more
serious installations, because having to switch IP addresses on a bunch
of devices is a pain, and most large scale admins prefer to run things
through DNS (which is a hell of a lot more redundant than most other
network services to begin with).

> The big advantage is being IAX2 based. That's key. Nothing else
> competes.
>
> BTW, I own several SPA-2000 and an SPA-3000. The SPA-3000 in particular
> is way too complex for what I need to do with it and Asterisk.

I just blew up an SPA-3000 trying to update its firmware.

What I really want is a little translator that gives me some FXO/FXS from
Ethernet.  The guy who was wishing for an IAX channel bank was right on.
(In my specific case, I'm also wishing for a little translator to do that
with BRI, but oh well)

... JG