[Asterisk-Users] IAXy - anyone using them yet?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Tue Oct 5 13:32:12 MST 2004

Michael Graves wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing the point, but IAXy doesn't relate to the Cisco
> switch at all. I don't view IAXy as a product to compete with SPA-x000
> devices. IAXy is a little bit of magic that extends the usefullness of
> Asterisk. Truthfully, IAX2 is the magic...IAXy is just one end of the
> wire when * is the other.

	When an iAXY can't establish an Ethernet link with a Cisco switch, I
see that as a relation (and a problem).  I don't know how they aren't
competing.  Remote FXO endpoints available?:

iAXY
Sipura
Grandstream
Cisco

> That I can provide an IAX2 based transport that punches through NAT
> devices is simply marvelous. That it's a "dumb"-ish device is ok as I
> don't need it to do anything fancy. That's what my diaplan is for.

	I know that this is an Asterisk list, but I was mearly trying to point
out some of the short-falls with the iAXY.  I was VERY excited to get
one, I ordered it before any other piece of VOIP hardware.  It was just
very limited.  It's not that it doesn't have it's place, I just can't
tell where it is.  Why would you pay more for less features?  Also, all
of my Sipura's are behind NATs and work perfectly.  The SIP NAT problem
can be overcome.

> The big advantage is being IAX2 based. That's key. Nothing else
> competes.

	IAX2 is superior to SIP in some situations, but I don't think that a
device using IAX is better than a competitor just because it uses IAX.
A Sipura that has the same features, compatibility, but uses IAX?  Sure,
I would take it over a SIP based Sipura any day.  They just don't exist
(obviously), and the iAXY is severely lacking in the features department.

> BTW, I own several SPA-2000 and an SPA-3000. The SPA-3000 in particular
> is way too complex for what I need to do with it and Asterisk.
>
> Michael
> --

	If the SPA's are too complex, you can always configure them without
looking at the "advanced" admin page... :)  The SPA-3000 really can't be
compared to the iAXY, the SPA-3000 goes above and beyond what most
endpoints do.

--
Kristian Kielhofner