[Asterisk-Users] IAXy - anyone using them yet?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Tue Oct 5 12:51:07 MST 2004

Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:06:17 -0500, Kristian Kielhofner <kris at krisk.org> wrote:
>
>>I think, that from a competitive standpoint, I don't
>>know how these devices can really compete against something like the
>>Sipura-2000, when you get two FXS ports, many more features, and even
>>DNS (for less money)!
>

> The answer is very simple: "something like the Sipura-2000" doesn't support IAX.
>
> rgds
> benjk

Benjamin,

	I understand that, but if Digium (and us) are ever going to see IAX
(and IAX devices) become a success, they have to at least be on par
(feature wise) with the SIP devices.  I think that it is important to
remember that IAX is "the little guy" right now and in my opinion,
"little guys" usually have to blow away the competition just to make it.
  Problems like the ones I was experiencing just led me to SIP (and
Sipuras).  I love IAX, I use it to trunk between my * machines and my
laptop when I am on the road.  But I cannot say to a client: "Here is
this little box (iAXY) which has this great protocol (IAX2), but won't
work with that $1000 switch you just bought, and also doesn't support
one of the core internet protocols of the internet (for failover, etc.).
  Did I mention that it was more expensive?

	Here is box b (Sipura SPA-2000), it works with your Cisco switch,
supports 2x as many lines, and works with DNS (which I NEED), but has a
less favorable transport protocol (which they don't even care about).
Oh yeah, and it's cheaper.

	When I ask which one they would like me to implement for them, can you
guess what their reaction usually is?

--
Kristian Kielhofner