[Asterisk-Users] IAX/Grandstream.

Tue Oct 5 02:41:55 MST 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:44:21 +0200, Richard van Oorschot
<rvanoorschot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you share which phone manufacturers are currently working on
> integrating IAX? Or was it told to you in confidence? And do you have
> any idea on timelines?

I would rather like to leave it up to the respective manufacturers to
make their announcements themselves.

However, you will probably know that Wasim and his team have been
working on Farfon since last year and he contacted me about two weeks
ago to tell me that they are now taking orders for delivery mid
October. Their website says the same thing, so even if they are going
to miss their announced shipping deadline, then I would think it is
safe to say that they should be able to ship sometime well before the
end of this year.

Virbiage are also making no secret out of their intend to ship an IAX
phone, although, just like the experience with Farfon would seem to
suggest it is far more time consuming to release a new phone then you
would imagine when you embark on such a project. So, I have no idea
when Virbiage will be able to ship the product their website says is
"coming soon".

Manufacturers of existing phones would seem to have a head start if
they intend to support IAX through a custom firmware. One of the
manufacturers I know to be working on IAX firmware is a company in a
neighbouring country of where I am. I believe they will be *able* to
release their firmware before the end of the year, but whether they
will actually do so, that I do not know.

Yet, taking into account that IAX has become far more widespread, that
there is a clear demand, that there is now talk about an IAX RFC, that
at least one chipmaker seems committed to incorporate IAX into the
next version of their chipset regardless of how low end that chip may
be, it would seem to me that we will see a turning point next year.

I had a chat wirh Errol Samuels in the UK on the phone the other day
and he said he would like to see next year to be "The Year of IAX".
Well said Errol! I would think we have a good chance that next year
will indeed become "The Year of IAX".

Part of what gets us there is making enough noise about IAX. Let those
Sippies know we are coming after them. Call up your preferred phone
manufacturer and make yourself heard. Tell them you want IAX, IAX and
IAX and that you will abandon them for the first of their competitors
to launch an IAX phone, regardless of any other features it may lack.
Put the pressure on them!

Also, if you have an opportunity to write an article or speak in front
of a crowd about VoIP, talk about IAX. Spread the word!

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.