[Asterisk-Users] IAX/Grandstream.

Tue Oct 5 00:30:05 MST 2004

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:59:34 -0300, Jefferson Carvalho
<jefferson at credishop.com.br> wrote:
> Someone knows if grandstream will offer some firmware
> update that supports IAX2 on grandstreams ip phones ?

I would be surprised to see that happening any time soon. I know of at
least three, perhaps four IP phone manufacturers who are working on
IAX firmware right now, but Grandstream is not one of those.

About a year ago, there were rumours that Grandstream would offer IAX
firmware before the end of 2003. I was talking to David Lee at
Grandstream at the time and he neither denied nor confirmed the
rumours but said they were looking into IAX support. By accident I
stumbled into a conversation with somebody who said he was working on
that IAX firmware for Grandstream, apparently as a freelance project,
and he confirmed  the rumours. He is well known in the Asterisk
community and not somebody who would invent stories.

Unfortunately, nothing came of this and I can only guess that
Grandstream backed out of it.

It is before this background that I believe Grandstream will only be a
follower, not a leader when it comes to IAX support.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.