[Asterisk-Users] Re: Sound Problem with * on VIA mini-itx M10K AC97' VT8235

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Oct 4 09:38:10 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 10:43, Michael Graves wrote:

> >> Are you running in X or using framebuffer? If you're doing either of
> >> these - tough luck.
> >>

> >I'm not using X, i'm headless.  I am using frame buffer, why would FB effect sound, the video is on the AGP, not the PCI buss? I'm happy to go down this trail, explain a bit more please.  Should I turn frame buffer off?
> >
> >JR
>
> I use a standard Fedora install which I presume uses a framebuffer
> since it's wholly graphical. However, my * server does nothing but *
> and runs headless in my rack. I administer it using ssh.
>
> I don't think that having the graphical desktop (Gnome I think)
> installed has caused any problems at all. At least not that I can tell.

The framebuffer is in use even during console mode. So having it enabled
puts your video card in a state that generates more interupts and they
last longer. Any significant interupt service time degrades asterisk
from maintaining realtime service of other threads shuttling audio
around.

If you are running headless, then you should recompile your kernel and
make certain the framebuffer has been removed.