[Asterisk-Users] Amazing, great protocol IAX

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Oct 4 07:01:45 MST 2004

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>On Monday 04 October 2004 00:21, Adam Hart wrote:
>

>>Why do you need GSM at all, just keep everything iLBC. Asterisk won't
>>have to transcode and it will sound much better
>>

>I find GSM to be lower bandwidth, higher quality and less CPU intensive than
>iLBC with *.  Just my opinion.  Perhaps once the audio recovery is available
>with * and iLBC I'll give it another go but really I see no advantage to iLBC
>at this time.

Whatever quality you get, transcoding the audio will make it work. Also,
it depends what you put through the channel. Play music through GSM
06.10 and it will less less horrible than through iLBC. Play a single
clean voice through GSM 06.10 and it should be somewhat poorer than
iLBC. In general, the more agressively you code, the more the result is
tuned to one particular thing - individual voices, in the case of voice
codecs.

Regards,
Steve