[Asterisk-Users] using broadvoice and vonage hardware with Asterisk

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Mon Oct 4 04:16:29 MST 2004

> Greetings, I've just about got Asterisk up and running and am wondering
> the following.  Currently, I subscribe to both Vonage and Broadvoice and
> as such, I've got a Sipura and Cisco ATA186.  Although I'm sure this is
> expressly prohibited somewhere in my service agreements, can I reprogram
> these devices to access my own asterisk server rather than their
> respective providers?  I understand that Vonage started password
> protecting some of its ata186s, but am hoping the Sipura provided by
> Broadvoice might be easier to reconfigure.

I believe that you should be able to reset any 186 to factory settings:
Pick up phone, press function button, enter 322873738#, and confirm
the reset with *.  Then, you can use the Web interface and/or IVR to
configure the ATA for use with Asterisk.

However, there is no easy way to configure Asterisk to use your Vonage
hardphone account, because the required credentials are transmitted
in encrypted form to the ATA, and reset to factory settings will wipe
them out.

--Stewart