[Asterisk-Users] Re: Sipura 3000 FXO

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Oct 3 14:25:10 MST 2004

> How does an employee make use of more than one multiline phone at a
> desk?
> What's the motivation for placing *two* (or *three*?) expensive
> multiline phones on a desk?

you did not read benk's post.  they have less than one computer or
phone per desk, often far less.  they might like more, but they
gotta be *real* cheap.  and it can't take a lot of technology to
set up.

i am running spa3ks, and working on making them deployable in scale
in a first world environment.  the config system flat don't cut it.
it was done with the telephant mentality of saving 50 cents per
unit capex and spending five dollars more a year per year per unit
in opex.

i come from an automated ip backbone world where we generated
configs automatically from sql data tied to the back office and
sales systems.  i want to have a shipping person take a new spa3k
out of the box, plug it into an ether, hit the 'Confirm' button on
the customer order fulfillment screen, wait 30 seconds, and then
stick the puppy in the outbound shipping box.

if i can't do that, i can't scale 'em.  and if i can't scale 'em,
the spa3k will stay in the yuppie/geek-toy market.  perhaps folk
here are not paying enough attention to Sonus, Acme Borders, etc.
the telephants are at the outer garden.

randy