[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Duane duane at e164.org
Sat Oct 2 16:12:34 MST 2004

Kevin Walsh wrote:

> This thread has to be taken in the context of someone using an
> executable, such as chan_g729.so, or a bunch of source files, and
> so be in breach of various US G.729 patents.  If someone manages
> to convince a court that the G.729 patents describe hardware and not
> software algorithms, or if someone convinces a court that chan_g729.so
> is a hardware device, then I'll be very impressed.

 From what I understand, have been told and read up on the problem with
patents specific to telephony, is they tend to get "included" in law by
way of international treaties thanks to the ITU/UN, so while for the
most part what you've said could/would hold true in a lot of cases, when
dealing with telephony things aren't as clear cut...

IANAL etc...

--

Best regards,
  Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else.
	I only try to dance better than myself."