[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Oct 2 12:03:07 MST 2004

Steve Underwood [steveu at coppice.org] wrote:
> I know people who have been involved in trying to shoot down bogus
> patents in Britain. These were hardware patents. They covered blatantly
> obvious and unoriginal things. The patent holders usually win. If you
> don't stand to gain by at least a few million pounds if you win, it
> isn't worth starting out down that path.

I understand that it'd be difficult to overturn a legal patent, such
as the hardware patents you keep referring to.  My point is that
software and algorithm patents are simply not enforceable in England,
so the only defence would be to point this out, and that defence would
win every time.  To put it simply for you (again), software and
mathematical patents are not legal in England and Europe at the
moment, so there would be no case to answer.

Of course, the case would not get to court in the first place because
the winner always pays the losers costs, and the people with the bogus
software patent would always lose.  The best they could hope for is to
get some mileage out of threatening people who they claim have breached
their bogus patent.

Now, can we please drop this thread.  It's very clear that you have no
idea what you're talking about, and you seem to confuse hardware with
software, and the US with the UK, in every article you post.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz