[Asterisk-Users] Sipura 3000 FXO

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Oct 1 20:24:47 MST 2004

> I just sent my unit back.  I don't know if it was defective or not. I
> think it was working before firmware upgrade but after upgrade I
> couldn't call In or Out.
> Sipura technical support is not responding either. I emailed them twice,
> the store I bought it from emailed them once as well and didn't get any
> reply either.
> So the unit went back, in my opinion their tech. support is non
> existent.

We just blew one up, apparently, as well.

We had manually configured it onto our network (no DHCP) and all was fine,
and then we downloaded the Sipura firmware update (Windows), and ran it.

It got about halfway through, just fine, and then blew.  The unit was then
toast...  it wouldn't answer the '****' login via phone, and (interestingly
enough) while it retained a functioning IP stack with the IP network
parameters we had previously configured, it wouldn't answer on port 80.
It happily answered PING but nothing else we could determine.  The phone
port remained connected to the POTS port, etc.

I've updated firmware on hundreds of different kinds of devices, and while
I have occasionally made a mistake and blown something up, this is one of
a very small number of times where there was no obvious reason for it to
have gone awry.  Everything's on UPS power, so no glitches, it was
statically configured with an IP, so no reboot-then-lost-settings, etc.
The only thing that struck me as possibly a bit different from normal was
that we had configured the IP configuration manually.  And, boy, that
process is sure SWEET!  (coming from someone who's used to configuring
stuff like laser printers with a three button interface and a few hundred
button presses)

... JG