[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel and ztdummy and timming question

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Oct 1 19:37:00 MST 2004

Duane Cox wrote:

> What's the default timing configuration going to be with zaptel and a
> 2.4.x kernel?
>
> I didn't compile USB into my kernel, and as a matter of fact probably
> shut it off in the BIOS...
>
> Duane Cox

If you have digium hardware, don't worry about it.  If you don't, read on.

You need a timing source more "accurate" than the standard PC RTC (100
ticks / second in most OS's).

The digium hardware has this, and the zaptel drivers provide a mechanism
to interface with this.

If you don't have Digium hardware do this (not necessarily in this order):

1) ztdummy on 2.6 - I haven't done this, but many say it works.

2) on FreeBSD recompile the kernel with HZ=1000 in the config file -
this should work, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this

3) linux 2.4 with a UHCI usb controller - use ztdummy

4) linux 2.4 without SMP, without UHCI usb and rtc compiled as a module
- use zaprtc.  Google it.

5) Buy Digium hardware to support them.

	These are all of the available options for timing hardware & * (that I
know of).

Option five is best.

--
Kristian Kielhofner