[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri Oct 1 14:48:06 MST 2004

Kevin Walsh wrote:
  > As I've said (possibly more than once), physical devices CAN be
patented
> but software and mathematical algorithms etc. CANNOT.  Therefore, the
> various algorithms that make up G.729 cannot be legally patented and
> enforced under current British and European Union legislation.

The solution seems pretty obvious to me.  Report him to the G729
patent holders and let a judge figure it out.  If the G729 patent is
illegal in Britland and EUland Kevin should win the case pretty
quickly and have some hefty backers (pretty much ANY telco equipment
company that sells devices in Europe would want the patent invalidated).

Kevin, I can give you some contact information for the G729 patent
holders if you want to just report yourself.

--Eric