[Asterisk-Users] Digium and mailing lists

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Oct 1 14:13:52 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield [critch at basesys.com] wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 14:47, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> > (Americans don't understand freedom.)
> >
> Temper your generalizations please. Some Americans understand it just
> fine. Look at efforts by groups such as the EFF and PUBPAT for trying to
> fix the insanity.

You're right, of course.  I should have said:  The vast majority of
Americans don't understand freedom.

> BTW, go look at
> http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/patents/database/pat-list.pdf
>
> Under this I see where patents from the US have licensing declarations
> stating they have counterparts in Canada, France, Germany, GB, Japan,
> Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Taiwan, Austria,
> Australia, Hong Kong,

I don't know what they mean by "counterparts", but I do know that
software patents are not legal in Europe or England.  It's possible for
a few dodgy patents slip past the clerks (they can't all be Einstein),
but there's no way that they could be enforced in the courts over here.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz