[Asterisk-Users] asterisk based bbs

Denis Galvão denis at isolve.com.br
Tue Nov 30 17:20:20 MST 2004

Em Ter 30 Nov 2004 20:07, Joe Greco escreveu:

> > > It doesn't really make sense to me. It only makes sense for some very
> > > limited fields. e.g. when somebody cannot read or write (he hasn't
> > > learned it or is blind). Everybody else could use the computer. Most
> > > people who would use such a system do have a computer at home I
> > > guess.
> >
> > A lot of people thought the same before WWW, when text based contents
> > were the basis of networks.
>
> The real problem with bulletin board systems (speaking as someone who
> authored bulletin board systems back in the days of 110 and 300 baud) is
> bandwidth.  Information transfers slowly at low bit rates, and we
> optimized the hell out of the online experience, doing things like
> shortening the message headers ("To:", "Fr:", "Su:", etc), making sure
> that character inputs to move on to the next message could be entered at
> any time, using short menus but always leaving more detailed help options
> available, etc.
>
> A vocal BBS would inherently involve a very slow transfer of information,
> and there's just so much time people are willing to commit to
> participating.

You're right! But I wrote that voice will be the next content that we will
use in networks environments... of course, the model of exchanging
information will upgrade too!

You will make a GOOGLE search, just talking with your "voice browser",
something like:
"- Asterisk _plus_ BBS"
"- We found 30 references for Asterisk and BBS..."

You will have your hands free to write an old email to your friens at the
same time that you ask and listen for a file stored in your server...

We gonna have another interface to the information, that means: more
information per second(i/s).

BBS is an old idea, we must update its concepts.

Dont try to put a V12 Ferrari engine in your 41 Ford T.

Denis.