[Asterisk-Users] Gentoo and Asterisk - any experiences?

Jon Lawrence jon at lawrence.org.uk
Tue Nov 30 14:43:12 MST 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 16:23, Kevin Walsh wrote:

> I do recommend Gentoo GNU/Linux with the 2.6 kernel.  Everything
> "just works" (tm) without all the hoops you have to jump though with
> other distros - such as Fedora.

UMM, if you want the speed increases you can get with Gentoo then there are
certainly hoops to jump through so to speak. You need to get the various
flags set correctly from the start and install from stage 1.
Personally I couldn't be bothered with all that and installed from a stage
3 :) But if you're determined to get the most out of the powerful hardware we
have today, then by all means learn how to do it.
Can you get double the performance from a gentoo server - I seriously doubt
it.
You can make some things a lot quicker on a desktop by pre-linking things but
I can't see this making any great strides on a server.

Jon