[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk for home office

Lee leeb00 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 13:56:39 MST 2004

I apoligize in advance for this newbie question on what I perceive as
a mostly advanced level list... I did some searching, but would like
some of your expert opinions.

I'm building an asterisk server to be used in the home, both to learn,
and as proof of concept of applying this solution in a home. To keep
costs down, I'm considering one X100P ($25 ebay clone) card to connect
the existing phone line, and a single-port FXS of some sort to connect
all existing phones. I was leaning toward buying a TDM400P (TDM11B)
but would have trouble justifying the added cost to my colleagues who
may want one of these systems in their homes.

Note: I'll add softphones and later add an IP phone or two if budget
allows, and features seem worth the expenditure, but I don't yet have
a good grasp on the benefits of IP phones...

1. Does this make sense?
2. What is a good, inexpensive FXS solution?
3. Would a TDM400P solution be a better way to go, cost considered?

I want cheap and reliable, if that's possible :)
Thanks
--
Lee