[Asterisk-Users] Small PBX setup

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Nov 29 17:08:53 MST 2004

On November 29, 2004 06:58 pm, Gregory Junker wrote:
> The ADIT 600 would be a good midrange choice, but if they yelped at
> $2000 for VM, then the total cost of a used ADIT plus the T100P plus an
> FXO card is closing in on $2000 again.

That's my point; $2000 seems to be the "average" Asterisk system these days...
Now mind you if you use a new T100P and a used (Ebay) Adit600 you can hit
$1000 easily -- I have zero qualms with selling the used Adit600s because I
have a few onhand with modules and controllers to swap out when/if something
fails, but I've not had a failure yet.

Hell even with new equipment you want spares *on hand* -- I learned this
lesson about 3 years ago with a Carrier Access M13 (DS3 Mux) -- we had a
controller fail and the hot backup failed immediately after.  Carrier Access
sent us a new controller up immediately but it got lost by UPS (seriously) --
they sent another out but that was a really really sick three or four days...
your entire DS3 down and nothing to do about it.

New or used, you want equipment *on hand* to replace in case of failure, and
the used marketplace shouldn't shy anyone away, especially in the telecom
world.  I've easily purchased over US$100k in equipment from ebay (AS5248s,
the M13, DSLAMs, MaxTNTs, managed switches, SDSL modems, laptops, you name
it) over the years and have never been screwed.

-A.