[Asterisk-Users] Fax pass-throught.

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Mon Nov 29 09:16:44 MST 2004

Alessandro Ren wrote:

>     I've found the fax extention setting, but this is not what I want to
> do. I'd like to dial from the line on the other side of the IAX channel
> to a fax, to cut long distance costs, and send a FAX from the source IAX
> channel. Like bellow:
>
>     source
>                                                          destination
>      FAX --- Asterisk  ------- internet ------- Asterisk -------
> external line ----- PSTN ------  FAX

I haven't done this, but I've heard that faxing through a voip connection
is problematic.  Have you considered the possibility (if you control both
Asterisk installations in your diagram) that you could fax to a virtual
fax on the source Asterisk system which would capture to a file, email or
file transfer the image to the other Asterisk box which would then dial out
and send to the final destination?  This assumes your source and destination
actually have to be real fax machines, otherwise you have even more options.

Check out:
http://scottstuff.net/scott/archives/000152.html

and see if it gives you any ideas.

Steve