[Asterisk-Users] low quality sound samples

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Nov 29 06:16:04 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 12:10 +0000, Corvin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing Asterisk installation on my Slackware Linux Box,
> I am making calls from kphone. I've noticed that standard sample
> voice files attached to * distro (*.gdm files) havn't good quality.
> What can be done to improve it? I'm using alsa drivers.

Adjust your expectations to telephone quality. Everything is based
around 8khz samples and at best around 14 bit quality. The GSM files
should be around cell phone quality due to the codec. You are welcome to
rerecord any sound prompts you wish and use them at a slightly higher
quality but 8khz 16bit PCM is the highest quality you can use.