[Asterisk-Users] Phone Selection

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Nov 28 15:32:10 MST 2004

> I'm looking at the Sayson 480i or the Cisco CP-7960. Which one would you
> suggest and why please ?

I "briefly" tested the 480i a couple of weeks ago. Had a problem in that it
would not use the tftp server address contained in the dhcp response, so
had to define everything from the keypad to make it work. The quality of
the audio was good, the speakerphone function worked, and all other very
basic phone functions that I tried (not an expensive test at all) worked
as expected. There seemed to be a lot of "this function will be implemented
in a later software release" kind of thing going on. I did not write down
the s/w version that it was running, but I do remember there were two
additional releases available after the one I had. I would not deploy this
phone in large quantities at this time as they would be a support nightmare.
For small quantities, not a bad phone at all. That's about all I can tell
you on it.

I use a 7960 for day to day business use and like it very well. It feels
like a phone, works like a phone, excellent speakerphone, and continues
to function well. Probably a little over priced these days. I'll stay with
it for now.

You should probably dig through the wiki as I'm sure there is more detail
there on lots of different phones.

Rich