[Asterisk-Users] IP to IP call without server?

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 28 16:59:58 MST 2004

nkb wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm really new.
> I was just wondering if it is possible at all to do a IP to IP call
> without a * server (or as a matter of fact, any other kind of server)?
> say I'm at mydomain.com's 10.0.0.1 and I want to call my buddy at
> hisdomain.com's 192.168.0.3. Is this sort of things possible?

I think this kind of functionality is supported by some SIP phones. Well
the docs of my budgetone says it does, but I've never tried it.

> Or must we all both be registered with the same server to do that? Can
> this not be done without passing thru server (*)?

 From what I understand, if you are using, say, 2 IAXys, then they will
sort of automagically communicate directly with each other once the
communication is established.

I also think SIP has a similar mechanism (REINVITE?) - but then again
I'm fairly new to VoIP so I might be talking all rubbish. If I am please
someone correct me :-)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.