[Asterisk-Users] Which is the best signalling for FXS

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Nov 27 10:56:29 MST 2004

james wrote:
>>Kewlstart is for disconnect supervision. If you have a simple phone
>>connected, it doesn't make much difference what your signalling is as
>>the human will actually hangup the phone. If you hookup another device
>>that might actually need the supervision like a
>>modem/faxmachine/whatever, you will still want disconnect supervision.
>>As far as technical best, out side of the disconnect supervision, the
>>kewlstart and loopstart are equivalent.
>

> It is also my understanding that most local exchanges (in the US) don't
> enable disconnect supervision by default. I had to ask my telephone
> company to enable it.

Or maybe they'll respond the way that my local telco, The Monon
Telephone Company, did: "Yes, we could certainly enable that feature for
you, since it is a trivial feature on our switch.  But our tariffs don't
require us to do that for residential customers, so we won't do it for
you.  End of discussion.  Thank you for calling."

The only consolation is the knowledge that soon there will be no need
for them, and it's almost certain they don't see it coming.

B.