[Asterisk-Users] asterix as proxy

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Sat Nov 27 09:22:21 MST 2004

--On Saturday, November 27, 2004 10:05 AM -0500 Philippe Daoust
<pdaoust at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Grant Williamson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to setup an asterix server as a proxy allowing me to,
>> access multiple SIP accounts from a single hardware device.
>> Are there any pointers on setting this up?
>>
> This is very common.  I just did this myself and the wiki definitely has
> all the information that you need to do this.

Sometimes a starting point is needed... You can read about HOW to do all
these things in the wiki at www.voip-info.org.

You want a very simple Asterisk setup.

1 Bring up default Asterisk out of the box. Connect a headset to the sound
card and verify that you can do the demo.

2 Implement your hardware phone, whatever it is. IP softphones are
connected via IAX or SIP. Most hardware IP phones will be SIP. Analog
phones will require a Zaptel card, an IAXy or some similar device.  You
enable them in iax.conf, sip.conf or zapata.conf.

3 Create an extension for the hardware phone in extensions.conf so that the
phone can be called.

4 Enable your various SIP services, one at a time, in sip.conf and modify
the dialing plan in extensions.conf to allow you to dial out on whatever
you choose.

5 Make sure that when you enable the services in sip.conf you put them in a
'context' that allows them to ring the phone you set up earlier.

That should be enough to get you started.

</edg>