[Asterisk-Users] Where did USE_MYSQL_FRINDS go ? What to use ?

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 26 09:20:34 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 09:47 -0600, Brian West wrote:
> > I wonder why people are working on the MySQL specific version if ODBC
> > support is in and being developed.
>
> Because people have this misconception that ODBC is slow.

It is not a misconception. It just depends on the application. For a
home/small/xyz biz ODBC works fine I guess. The loss in speed is pretty
negligible. But I would not want to use ODBC in a large carrier
environment. It's slower, another layer with potential bugs etc. Doesn't
dance with the KISS principle. At a very large US carrier I was involved
in some ODBC tests for their billing system and it went up in flames. If
there are ITSP's, VoIP carriers or even large incumbents using ODBC I'd
love to hear which application and which ODBC they are using.

Regards,
Patrick