[Asterisk-Users] T1 and FX CPE

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Fri Nov 26 08:42:48 MST 2004

Hey guys,
  Looking for some suggestions here on hardware to use.  We have several
business customers wanting to start using our VoIP service. We will be
replacing their 10 year old Panisonic system with Cisco 7940 phones and a
T1. Problem is, they have to keep 1 POTS line for directory listing and 911
emergency failover.
  I would like suggestions on how to accomplish this. Our asterisk cluster
is downtown so we can do the T1 between us and them easily. However, the
FX911 is the big problem. Lets say that the T1 line goes down and someone
tries to dial 911. Normally the call would go over the T1 down to asterisk
cluster and go out over PRI or an FX card. But if the T1 is down, you can't
do that. So, the POTS line needs to be plugged into something at the
customer site.
 There are a few Cisco routers that will accept both the T1 and the FX but
we can't intercept a SIP call at the router. Right now, the only solution we
can think of is putting an asterisk box at their location with an FX card.
That way if the T1 goes down, they can still dial intra-office and dial 911
out the FX card.

Other suggestions are wide-arms-openly welcome.

-Matthew