[Asterisk-Users] SIP Phones-Receptionist Setup

Ian Clough ianasterisk at intech.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 04:48:59 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Junker" <gregory.junker at dayark.com>
Non-Commercial Discussion" <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] SIP Phones-Receptionist Setup

>> I'm not saying that it would compromise *'s 'PBXness'. But you are
>> comparing products that have DECADES of development and maturity,
>> building on basic features that * is just now getting stable, and that
>> use proprietary hardware to accomplish these features.
>
> Kinda my point. I reiterate, if someone wants to help design and implement
> a separate project to accomplish the key functionality, then I would be
> happy to work on it.
>
> Greg

I have just read again some of the posts in this thread.

The thread started by somebody asking if they could use a SNOM 220 as a
receptionist phone. It has gone on to discuss the use of CTI to implement
these features and to discuss the possibility of making custom hardware
solutions.

Am I missing something- why can't some of the new SIP phones be used for
this? Are they missing some hardware feature?

If we are to start a project to create a receptionist phone why do we not
just take one or two of these and make them work in this way??

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-November/071065.html

http://www.polycom.com/common/pw_item_show_doc/1,1276,1820,00.pdf

http://www.snom.com/download/data_snom220e.pdf

Or am I missing something??