[Asterisk-Users] Opinions on renice or turning off swap or ramdis k as swap?

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Thu Nov 25 13:10:20 MST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Colin Anderson wrote:

> I have 4 gig in my * box. I'm tuning for performance and I'd like to ask
> opinions:
>
> 1. asterisk -p == renice -20 ??

The -p option sets asterisk to realtime priority if possible. This is
different from the traditional unix nice levels. A program with realtime
priorities will _never_ be preempted by a normal program. A program with
the traditional unix nicelevel of -20 will give up some time slots to
lower priority programs.

This has advantages (scheduling of packets are much better e.g.) and
disadvantages (a broken asterisk server will leave the system impossible
to log in to). The disadvantage can be soften by keeping a shell open with
realtime priority (higher) around.

Running with -p does help a lot for VoIP stuff.

Note that this is user-space (pseudo) realtime stuff. Lowlatency patches
for the kernel can give better response time for the zaptel drivers as
well. This is orthogonal.

> 2. I've turned off swap with no apparent ill effects. Can anyone commment on
> long term effects with moderate load (say, 30 SIP phones / 2-3K calls /day)

Turning off swap means that the only page-freeing operation left is demand
paging of binaries. I.e. program text pages (the actual program that is)
are discarded and reloaded. This can be a rather bad idea.

Asterisk should stay resident in memory under normal circumstances. There
can be a problem if you are running an ide disk and have unmasq irq turned
off. In that case disk accesses will definitly hurt you. For any hardware
from this side of the millenium unmasq irq should be safe.

> 3. Can anyone comment on using ramdisk as swap and whether this is a good
> idea or bad idea?

That is a bad idea. Use the ram as ram instead.

> I'm using 2.6 kernel. I've modified the PCI latency in rc.local:
>
> setpci -v -s <my T100P address> latency_timer=ff

Are you sure that is a good idea? That only makes the T100 hold the bus
longer. If my memory serves me the T100P is not bus mastering. I don't
think the pci latency value for it is relevant, but I am not sure. I do
believe the latency values of the other devices is at least as important.
The T100P does not need to transfer many bytes at a time, but it does need
to transfer them as soon as possible when they are ready.

Peter