[Asterisk-Users] Fax server (TxFax) fails during transmission

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Thu Nov 25 12:51:34 MST 2004

I'm having an intermittent problem with fax transmissions, something I
call the streaking mascara syndrome.

TxFax will be part way through a transmission when something fails--on
the fax printer, part of the page will have correctly printed, but the
rest of the page is "streaked" to the bottom.

I have several successful multi-page transmissions interspersed with
streaked transmissions, so I believe it is a timing problem, not a
software problem.  The fax machines are an HP5500 and an industrial
strength Konica(?).

During one successful transmission, I tar'd a large directory without
incident.  This leads me to believe it's not processor or disk usage
causing the problem.

I'm not running X, and I've switched off all unnecessary services.  I do
have asterisk and qmail running on the same box.  Asterisk is only doing
the TxFax function and does not have any voice calls as yet.  I've
renice'd qmail to +10 without effect.

Does anyone have a method to trace this problem?  Is there some way to
monitor the PCI bus and interrupts?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Michael Welter
Introspect Telephony Corp.