[Asterisk-Users] configuring voicemail

Peter Hoppe peter at radioworldwide.org
Thu Nov 25 09:07:36 MST 2004

Rodney,

thanks for your question. You don't actually have to configure voicemail passwords per extension,
but per voicemail box. This is done in the config file 'voicemail.conf'.
Here you define each voicemail box number, an associated password and a name (and potentially other
parameters). When asterisk starts it reads the voicemail.conf (this activates the settings). Then a
user can access his/her voicemail from any device and specify the mailbox and the password from
there. Asterisk comes with a voicemail application called 'commedian mail' which offers many options.

For more info see

http://www.digium.com/asterisk_handbook/voicemail_voicemailmain.html
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+config+voicemail.conf
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+VoiceMailMain
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+VoiceMail

This is just a small selection of links. There are more links on the voip-info pages. I hope this helps!