[Asterisk-Users] Linksys RT31P2

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Nov 25 08:55:58 MST 2004

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> It's not the amount of traffic that I'm concerned about, it's having a 200MHz
> processor processing the encryption for a half dozen or more VPN tunnels --
> passing traffic isn't an issue, it's all the processor use for encrypting and
> decrypting.  :-)

That's exactly what I referring to as well. The number of tunnels does
not matter (to any significant degree); all that matters is what size
the pipe that the device is connected is.

So, if the router is connected to a 1.5Mbps symmetric DSL line, it only
has to be able encrypt/decrypt a total of 3Mbps of traffic, period. If a
200MHz ARM or Geode can't do that, I'd be surprised. I know that people
are running software-based encryption on 266MHz Geodes and getting far
better throughput than that.