[Asterisk-Users] How to make/recieve call using asterisk when there is a power failure?

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Thu Nov 25 03:49:44 MST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, TinKoon wrote:

> However, for the Asterisk implementation, unless you have a huge ups, you
> will not be able to make and receive any call during power failure, since
> there will be no power to the Asterisk server. And since all the incoming
> lines, be it analog lines or T1/E1 are connected to the Asterisk, these
> lines wont be able to function at all.
>
> In some situations, even though you may have a ups for the Asterisk, network
> equipment, channel banks, etc, but your ATA, IP phones which located near to
> your users and probably not connected to the UPS, so these devices wont be
> able to function.
>
> And even if you have a ups, after an hour or two, your uos will drain out,
> so how?

We use an ups with 12 or 24 hours battery time for the load involved. This
is neither advanced nor terribly expensive, just dimension the ups
appropriately battery-wise and power-wise.

For terminals that require power you can use:
 * power over Ethernet from the switch
 * power over Ethernet from mid-line injectors
 * local ups per station/room

If your pstn provider is not a total fly-by-night operation your E1/T1
should operate just fine if the power goes out. You may need to plug the
termination equipment at your site into your ups, but they are usually
fairly low power devices.

If your E1 goes dead during a power outage you should switch provider.
Now.

Peter