[Asterisk-Users] Cannot open /dev/dsp

el Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Wed Nov 24 21:46:32 MST 2004

Norman Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed asterisk 1.0.2 on LM10.1. However I cannot start asterisk,
> after looking in the log, I noticed
>
> Cannot open /dev/dsp: file or directory not found

That means you probably don't have a soundcard configured. I don't have
one in my test box either, but that doesn't prohibit asterisk from
starting up. it just means you can't do certain things from the CLI.

Try starting up asterisk in verbose mode, a-la:

asterisk -vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvc

and see what messages are shown. if it fails to start then look at the
very last error message which should give you some clues.

flynn