[Asterisk-Users] need some advice

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Wed Nov 24 10:41:26 MST 2004

Hi Pat, Please see below....

--On Wednesday, November 24, 2004 6:08 PM +0100 p80 <p80 at free.fr> wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 03:39 am, Ed Greenberg wrote:

>> Incoming service via VOIP. Many VOIP services can terminate directly in
>> your asterisk box. Some require that you use THEIR hardware (like
>> Vonage). If the latter kind, you will have to use another FXO module or
>> change VOIP providers.
> I can plug my VoIP directly into a regular phones right now so I guess it
> should be ok.

Your response confuses me. What are you plugging into what in order to
reach this conclusion?

>> Analog telephone sets are terminated in FXS ports. Again, Digium makes
>> several options. I terminate two sets in my TDM400 card. One is a
>> cordless phone. The other is a regular telephone.
>>
>> Digital (voip) phones need to be added to the network. Most of these are
>> expensive, even on eBay, but heck, we are doing this for fun, not to same
>> money, right? You can plug these phones into your hubs or plug them into
>> wifi with an ethernet to wifi bridge. I haven't tried this, but I am
>> going to work on it over Thanksgiving unless we go away. I'll certainly
>> post my results.
>>
>> If you have a free PCI card in your Debian box, you could install a
>> TDM400 with one FXO and three FXS cards. You could wire your analog line
>> and your analog phones to the back of the Debian box. You could also buy
>> some IP phones.
>
> I looked on http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_tdm400p2 but I
> didn't really get it. I have to buy a TDM400 PCI card and then I need add
> other FXO or FXS cards to this PCI cards?  so i need to buy several other
> cards for it (which wouldn't be a problem, I'm just a little confused)?

You buy the mother and daughter cards (modules) as a unit. You specify what
you want. For instance TDM22B is two FXO and two FXS. Go back to
<http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_tdm400p2>, and look at the
standard and custom configurations.

If you have two lines, I recommend a 22B since that will give you both
lines and also the ability to plug in two cordless and corded phones,
creating two hard wired extensions. Then you can transfer calls between
them :) You could save a bit of money by buying a TDM12B - 1-port FXS &
2-port FXO bundle but you'd wind up buying the second FXS sooner or later,
and have to pay shipping to France twice.

I wonder if there is a local source for these in the EU. I'm not sure, but
Digium could tell you.

>> Feel free to question on this.
> another newbie question, if i want to use a regular cordless phone, can I
> plug  it into my TDM400 digium card (in addition to my 2 phones lines)? I
> guess  that's how it works right?  I think I'm gonna go this way cause
> wifi VoIP  phone are a bit expensive right now although I might want to
> try them  later :)

You would plug your lines into the FXO ports, and your cordless (and
corded) phones into the FXS ports. This is why you have to decide how many
of each port you want.

> thanx for all your answers
>
> Pat
> _____

My pleasure. At one time, we all were where you are now, so we're happy to
bring you up to speed, especially if you ask good pointed questions, as you
did.

</edg>