[Asterisk-Users] IPv6 and Asterisk?

Ronald van der Pol Ronald.vanderPol at rvdp.org
Wed Nov 24 03:47:56 MST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 17:33:23 +0000, Socrates Varakliotis wrote:

> I was wondering whether there is any interest or plans in the pipeline
> to have Asterisk IPv6-enabled.
>
> Any info, especially by the developers out there, would be welcome.

Marc Blanchet is looking into it. See message below.

	rvdp

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:20:45 -0400
From: Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet at hexago.com>
To: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net>
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] asterisk & ipv6

--On Jeudi 21 octobre 2004 22:26 +0200 "Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net>
wrote:

> Marc Blanchet wrote:
>
>> - no asterisk does not work over ipv6.
>> - ipv6 port won't be as easy as I would like to...
>> - I'm currently working on it. Had a short discussion with Mark during
>> astricon on it.
>> - no release date promised...
>> - will certainly be available through a different source tree. Too many
>> changes in the code and many impacts to try to merge it with current
>> sources. When port done, would need to discuss with developers on how to
>> integrate these changes.
> Marc,
>
> Can we start backwards and write coding guidelines, like
> "don't use strings like ip:port with a colon, since a colon is a
> significant
> character in IPv6 addresses"

- yes, we could.

> "size the IP address string for IPv6, size being..."

all this is good.

but:
- I'm still investigating deep inside the code to see all the implications
of the port to ipv6. The more I open, the more the forrest is deep...
- When done and some basic porting work done to validate, I would be in a
position to write such guideline, including a possible paper describing the
changes and proposals for future ip-independent asterisk. Until that time,
I'm not sure those kind of guidelines will be useful, since I'm pretty sure
they will be ignored and might be subject to change (other than the basic
ones). I think it makes more sense to have a comprehensive view of the
changes and have some discussion on it, before starting to change things.
- I'm not committing to any timeframe. sorry. Have a day job ...

> Also, we need to consider some architecture changes to be able to proxy
> from IPv6 to IPv4. How will this affect IAX, SIP and H.323?

yeap. but I would see this as "phase 2". Phase 1 would be to have v6
supported everywhere, same level as v4. inter-version/proxy/... would only
make sense after.

> Maybe it's time to start a Wiki page named "the Asterisk IPv6 project"
> so we can start collecting information, creating guidelines.

sure we/you could. I'm not yet ready to write something other than I'm
working on it. I will be happy to provide content when appropriate.

news later when I'm making sufficient progress.

Marc.

> For the project: Marc has very good knowledge on IPv6 and is well-known
> in IPv6 circles. I was very happy to see him at Astricon, myself being
> one that has been asking about IPv6 and Asterisk many times. We need to
listen to
> Marc. IPv6 is big in Asia and Asterisk needs to run on those networks as
> well .
>
> /O
> ------
>
> This project will be a good addition to our project list
> * The Asterisk FreeBSD project
> * The Asterisk Documentation Project
> * The Asterisk Solaris project
> * The Asterisk SS7 project
> * The Asterisk testing project
>
> As a side note, we might to create a project page listing these.
> Did I miss a project?
>
> /O

------
Marc Blanchet