[Asterisk-Users] Fw: Gift for Mark Spencer

Tue Nov 23 20:37:08 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 14:17, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> 	While I usually refrain from the discussions such as this one, this
> comment has left me utterly disgusted.

and while I managed top refrain from this for at least an hour! (ok, so
I was eating lunch and don't like typing with sticky fingers :)

> 	What mailing list is this? Asterisk-Users.  Why do we even HAVE
> Asterisk?  Because Mark Spencer and the folks at Digium (and others)
> have been busting their butts to provide such a quality piece of
> software.  You wouldn't even have a mailing list to complain on if it
> weren't for Mark.

While this is all true, it is attempting to convert the aversion to spam
to the excuse of "It is for a good cause/non-profit/someone else who is
in need/etc"...
Sure, I agree, Mark probably deserves more than he gets (I wouldn't know
his personal/business financial position) as I know I (and most other
small business owners) do.

However, it still doesn't suggest that spam'ming people is the correct
way to do this. In fact, it is very well known that it is NOT the
correct way.

>   Not only would I love to contribute to this, I think
> the whole idea of a hot tub and it being a surprise is wonderful
> (assuming Mark can keep his laptop out of the tub).

Sure, I agree!

> Furthermore, how
> else are you supposed to contact the 8,000 or so people on this list
> (without posting to it directly, and thus blowing the surprise)?  The
> "Batlight" from Batman?

Well, this is a *very* good question. How are you supposed to contact
the 500 people who want to buy a cheap rolex unless you send it to all
50 million email addresses you have on the CD you bought when someone
sent their email advertising the CD to 50 million people...

Sure, this was one method, however, I can't say it was the right method,
nor can I say I know any better method though...

> 	I was looking for an excuse to pay more than the suggested $20, and I
> think I found it...

I'm sure Mark will appreciate it.

BTW, It would probably have avoided most of these emails if it had at
least tried to claim some authority/credibility through being posted
somewhere (hidden) on some well-known asterisk websites. eg, the wiki
site (but not within the wiki itself where anyone can edit it), the
asterisk website, the digium website, the spandsp site, etc...

Anyway, what is done, is done, while we can all live and learn, we will
never live if we are still discussing the past in 10 years time. Next.

Regards,
Adam