[Asterisk-Users] Re: Granstream BT100 - only partial success

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 23 07:55:35 MST 2004

George Burt wrote:
<snip>
> [grandstream1]
> host=10.0.0.26           ; we have a static but private IP address
> canreinvite=yes        ; allow RTP voice traffic to bypass Asterisk
<snip>
> IP Address:
> statically configured as:
>         IP Address:    10.0.0.26
>         Subnet Mask:   255.255.255.0
>         Default Router:   10.0.0.1
> SIP Registration:    Yes

Comments:

1) You can't ask asterisk to register your phone if you have a fixed IP
address specified as host= in sip.conf. Either the phone sends the
address (i.e., host=dynamic), or you enter it as an IP address. It's OK
to be fixed at the phone and dynamic in asterisk, but that isn't
rational - just adds net traffic. Turn off the sip registration option
on the phone.

2) Unless I am mistaken, you are not going to be able to use re-invites
without NAT. It will work on your calls to analog phones handled by
Asterisk and to other IP phones on the local network. However, as soon
as you connect to an outbound/inbound service, the reinvite will fail
and you will lose your media stream.

3) Don't know if it will make a difference, but I always set the router
field to 0.0.0.0.  There is no such thing as a valid router IP on a
private network - they are not routable by design. I had quite an
argument with Grandstream about this when I first purchased the phones.
As a result, the firmware was modified to accept a null router entry for
use with private IP ranges.

Sincerely,

Stephen R. Besch