[Asterisk-Users] Line load balancing

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Mon Nov 22 16:10:20 MST 2004

Paul Hales wrote:
> We have 4 Telular mobile phone gateways hooked up to an Asterisk box, and we
> need the Asterisk box to balance the load across the 4 lines. Currently,
> Asterisk uses the first line, and subsequent lines when the first is busy.
>
> This means that our first line is in use almost 100%, and the last line is
> never used.
>
> Has anyone done anything similar to this before? We have looked at using
> mysql and getting asterisk to query mysql to choose which line to use, but
> this seems overly complex.
>
> Does Asterisk have a built in function to do this simply and easily?

When you do dial (ZAP/g1/number) you can do instead:

#  g: select the lowest-numbered non-busy Zap channel (aka. ascending
sequential hunt group).

# G: select the highest-numbered non-busy Zap channel (aka. descending
sequential hunt group).

# r: use a round-robin search, starting at the next highest channel than
last time (aka. ascending rotary hunt group).

# R: use a round-robin search, starting at the next lowest channel than
last time (aka. descending rotary hunt group).

See dialling a group on:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+ZAP+Channels

--
Cheers,