[Asterisk-Users] X-Lite and Voicemail

Joe Hetrick asterisk at bitjanitor.net
Fri Nov 19 15:16:08 MST 2004

Aha!
On Nov 19, 2004, at 3:42 AM, Rennes Neps wrote:

> Hello!
>
> You can try playing with dtmf settings in sip.conf  For example all
> Grandstream phones in my box use dtmfmode=info and Snom phones use
> dtmfmode=rfc2833
> I got the same behaviour with snom's when dtmfmode was wrong. Hope it
> helps.

	This wasn't the whole answer, but, as is usually the case, it was the
thread that I tugged at and unraveled into a solution.

	I respond to the list only to archive this for future fiddlers with
soft-phones.

	Apparently X-Lite is one of the few DTMF soft-phones available, and
they've been actively working on RFC2833 support.  This is the default
configuration.

	To restate, I'm using Asterisk + X-Lite on MacOSX.

	I found, deep in the advanced settings-->Feature Settings (different
location than in the windows X-Lite client) the DTFM configuration
toggles.

	I started by switching it to do in-band.

	That partially solved the problem, but ethereal traces were still
showing a few extra (hit-n-miss) digits going at Asterisk, which caused
VoiceMail to not find user/pass matches.

	I then toggled DTMF Tone Length to half the default value (2800 -->
1400) and viola, things seem happy, consistently.

	As it turns out, if you turn in-band off, and let it revert bck to
RFC2833, the reduction in DTMF Tone Length seems to solve the problem.

Thanks!

Joe
--
Joe Hetrick: joe-tech(at)avalon.net