[Asterisk-Users] Re: i swtiched to digest

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Nov 19 13:24:20 MST 2004

On November 19, 2004 03:14 pm, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com> writes:
> > Too much hand-holding results in a mawkish society.  People need to
> > learn how to effectively communicate and stay afloat in the sea of
> > information, not try and backfill the waters so they can feel
> > comfortable.
>
> Yeah, right.  Now go look at the recent "Top posting" thread, and see
> to what extent the people who need to learn are actually willing to
> learn.  It's been September for 10 years now, and there's no sign of
> October as far as I can see.  :-(

If they are unwilling to learn, then their response rate is going to be lower
than what it could be if they did things "properly" (i.e. as this list
generally holds to be acceptable).  If that's good enough for them then yes,
there's not enough pain to move them to change.  If it isn't then one of two
things will happen: they'll drop Asterisk, claiming that it's unfriendly
community drove them away or alternatively, they will change and embrace what
the community holds as its communication standards.

If the former they'll add to the "asterisk is bad" crowd but that doesn't
concern me much since there are many more people on the other side and, when
provoked, we are a rowdy and boisterous bunch.  If the latter, they will find
us a generally agreeable bunch and things will move forward.  :-)

-A.