[Asterisk-Users] Mitel 5220 phones

Michael Rowley os2mac at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 19 11:17:54 MST 2004

Hello,

Just wanted to post a success story.  I recently purchased 4 mitel 5220
phones and have them  working with my Asterisk setup.  Was fairly
painless once I had the right phones.  There are apparently several
models of the 5220.  Only the 50003791 and 50003790 are actually dual
mode, so make sure to request those models.  You can tell on the white
mitel sticker on the back.  Mine says "MITEL 5220 IP DUAL PORT
50003791" and works fairly well.  I don't have the paging function set
up yet, but am able tomake incoming and outgoing calls.

Here is what I had to do to make them work.  The default is for them to
be in Minet protocol, so you hold down the SuperKey (or Menu, depending
on what insert you use) and apply power.  It will come up and ask if
you want to CONFIGURE PHONE?  select YES.

Then it will Say "NETWORK PARAMETERS?" select NO

"HARDWARE CONFIG?" select NO

"PHONE MODE?"  select YES

"PROTOCOL?" select YES

"PHONE MODE: Minet"  select Change

Then select "SIP", "Accept", "Yes", it will save to NVram,

"REBOOT NOW?" select Yes

It will reboot, then download the flash file from mitel, extract it,
reboot again, then you can push Superkey and line 1, get the ip
address, and go to the internal web server to set up the SIP and
network setting  you need, along with a user.

Some things I have noticed up to now...  The phone boot _much_ faster
than the old 5055's I have.  And there appears to be less echo.

The 5220's ran me 290$ apiece.  I will update as I find out more about
the phones.

Michael