[Asterisk-Users] SBC VoIP Tariff to ISP's

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno.org
Fri Nov 19 10:13:42 MST 2004

Doug Shubert wrote:

> FYI
>
> SBC Makes VoIP Moves
> SBC has indicated in an FCC filing that it plans to file a federal tariff
> that will establish fees to be paid by ISPs that deliver VoIP calls to
> SBC's
> circuit switched end users.

So, we aren't talking about one office privately setting up a voip
tunnel between two locations?  They'd best hope not, otherwise they will
look like fools.

Well, more so than they do now.  Which is an achievement, because they'd
have to make some seriously boneheaded choices publicly to have it show
up against all the other idiotic things they do.

But I digress.

>   This service would not be mandatory.

For who?  How would this work exactly?  SBC sends me a bill ( as a VoIP
provider ), and I ignore it?  Shit, that's the best idea they've come up
with in a while.

> The rates
> for this service would be higher than the current reciprocal compensation
> rates paid for terminating local traffic, but lower than access charges
> applied to long distance calls.

Especially since they "would not be mandatory".

> This tariff would be the first of its kind
> and could encounter opposition from the FCC, which is still in the
> process
> of finalizing rules relating to VoIP and intercarrier compensation
> issues.

So, they are trying to dictate policy to a government body.  Who do they
think they are, MS?

> Separately, SBC has announced that it plans to launch residential VoIP
> services in all its markets in early 2005.  These services are
> designed to
> build on SBC's base of DSL subscribers.

SBC, the new AOL.  Remember folks, if you don't give them money, they
may just go away.

Sean