[Asterisk-Users] i swtiched to digest

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Nov 19 09:59:31 MST 2004

On November 19, 2004 11:43 am, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> You'll find that many people will want to be subscribed to all of the
> mail lists - just in case something interesting is said or asked.

Personally I subscribe to -users, -dev and -cvs.

> You'll also find that some Muppets will post their questions to multiple
> lists, instead of finding a specific list to use, or will judge that
> their question/comment has relevance in multiple lists.  For instance,
> how many Asterisk veterans are likely to hang out on asterisk-newbies so
> that they can answer the same FAQ question every ten minutes, and how
> many Asterisk users are going to post their questions to the newbie
> list when they find that there are no experts there?  People already
> post and/or duplicate end-user questions to the developers' list as
> it is.

This is exactly the problem with having a bazillion lists (as well as one of
the problems with forums in general, IMO).

> Splitting up the mail lists will most likely result in more bandwidth
> use for most people - not less.

Precisely.  I see nothing wrong with what we have now (at least with the 3 I
subscribe to) -- if you (the OP) are missing interesting threads, beat on the
clueless ones who post with subject lines like "I need help" or "asterisk
problem" -- I think the larger lists force the untrained to learn quickly or
leave.  The signup page should have the posting guidelines and a big fat
warning that says "FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THESE GUIDELINES WILL HAMPER YOUR
ABILITY TO RECEIVE HELP" -- Then let them whine on -newbies as to why they
can't get anyone to help them.

Too much hand-holding results in a mawkish society.  People need to learn how
to effectively communicate and stay afloat in the sea of information, not try
and backfill the waters so they can feel comfortable.

-A.