[Asterisk-Users] Is H323 dying?

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Thu Nov 18 20:58:32 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 02:22, kido noagbodji wrote:
> hi,
>
> > That really depends on many things:
> >
> > - did you download packages or source ?
> > - if you did download source, did you have the appropiate pwlib and
> > openh323 libs installed (h323 resides in channels/h323, check it's
> > README)
> >

> I installed the oh323 myself. I was just wondering if it was done on
> purpose. I installed asterisk from the source, and your are right i had
> neither the openh323 nor the pwlib library installed.
> Apparently it was not done on purpose.

oh323 is not h323. There are 2 different channel drivers for h323. Keep
that in mind.

> However, if i asked the question it is because i always thought that H323
> was more robust and much better than SIP. But since i joined the * world, it
> looks like I was wrong and that new development are going towards SIP rather
> than H323.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong.

That is correct. H.323 is something nobody real will deal with, but it's
still supported because a lot of the old fashioned carriers do H.323.

Slán leat,
Martin List-Petersen
Dublin, Eire
(contact info on --> http://www.marlow.dk/)