[Asterisk-Users] Speaking of DS3s....

Michael Shuler mike at bwsys.net
Thu Nov 18 15:30:24 MST 2004

You can do what we did and setup 2 SER servers which are load balanced by a
Foundry ServerIron XL (you could use UltraMonkey for free if you prefer).
The 2 SER machines handle the REGISTER messages, NAT and final delivery to
the VoIP devices and to the media gateways.  The SER machines don't know
what to do with a call they only know to hand it over to Asterisk for
routing/CLASS features or whatever you want the call to do.  You then have a
separate set of Asterisk boxes that are nothing but media
gateways/transcoders that have the PRI cards in them.  We don't actually use
Asterisk as media gateways in our setup we use the Lucent TNTs but it
accomplishes the same thing but on a much larger scale.  As far as sharing
the common configs we use http://svn.asteriskdocs.org/res_data/ to read all
of our configs (sip.conf, extensions.conf, etc.) live from a MySQL database.
Just apply the patch and go.

So far we have seen no limit as to the scalability of this setup.  If the 2
SER servers get overloaded we just add another.  If the Asterisk routing
servers get overloaded we just add another.  IF we run out of PRI's we add
another TNT and more PRI's from our Plexus 9000 switch.  So the system in
theory has no real-world limits.

Michael Shuler, C.E.O.
BitWise Communications, Inc. (CLEC) And BitWise Systems, Inc. (ISP)
682 High Point Lane
East Peoria, IL 61611
Office: (217) 585-0357
Cell: (309) 657-6365