[Fwd: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Adit 600 channel bank in UK setting]

Tim Robinson timweb at txrx.org.uk
Thu Nov 18 15:16:19 MST 2004

Peter
- 40 phones and only 3 PSTN trunks?.  I would recommend at least 2 BRIs
for this.  If you have ISDN you can also get DDI to the extensions.I
would strongly recommend abandoning the analogue PSTN lines and using
ISDN.  The setup pain you will go through will be significantly less,
combined with better audio, more features (like DDI numbers!) and much
more robust connections.

You should look at an HFC based ISDN BRI card which you can get for
around £11 if you shop around here in the UK. I have 3 of these cards
running in an Athlon 400, one of which is connected to a standard BT
ISDN line.  The rental for an ISDN line here in the UK is a shade more
than for 2 business analogue lines.  If you add in the cost of caller
id, etc. it actually works out cheaper.

You will need the 'bristuffed' version of Asterisk which you download
from www.junghanns.net/asterisk/downloads

You could use a channel bank for the analogue POTS interfaces, but watch
for the gotchas

- line impedance is diffrent to the US (lots of sidetone and echo on UK
phones)
- caller display may not work unless the channel bank supports the BT or
UK cable/ETSI caller id specs.
- EMC/electrical safety - specs you state do not appear to be EU accepted.
- you will pay import duty and VAT and customs clearance if you bring it
into the EU
- no spares here.
- You will still need a Digium E1 or T1 card for $500 plus taxes as above.

Channel banks are a peculiar US thing. Be careful!  You will almost
certainly be better off using voip handsets (SNOMs are cool, avoid
Grandstream for anything other than domestic environment) and a few
Sipura-type ATA's for the analogue fax machines etc. or some Digium
analogue cards.

A more detailed use case would be helpful if you want more advice on
your specific project.  Email me off line if you want details of my config.

Do the maths first!  Hope this helps.

Best regards
Tim Robinson
Basingstoke, UK