[Asterisk-Users] DS3 PCI in asterisk

Michael Shuler mike at bwsys.net
Thu Nov 18 12:16:47 MST 2004

It would be very cool indeed.  Who makes the magical DS3 card?  My only
concern would be if you need G.729 transcoding the host CPU will never be
able to keep up so the magical DS3 card would need enough DSP power to deal
with the transcoding.  Not to take any steam away from the project (I'm all
for it and would be willing to help) but if you are looking for a cheap DS3
solution that will do G.729/G.711 -> PRI take a look at a used Lucent TNT
with TAOS 11.  You can get them used for about $8K off ebay (make sure they
have the VoIP and SIP option enabled) and they only take about 10U of rack
space.  We have a bunch of them and have not had a single problem making
them work with Asterisk and SER.

Michael Shuler