[Asterisk-Users] - Advice on NetFinity 5000 series

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Nov 18 11:39:43 MST 2004

Hi, thanks for responding. For the record, I did get my 2 M20's running 1.0
stable with a T100P and a TDM400P with Fedora Core 2. Installation was
straightforward, and even facilitated by IBM's great design - there was no
problem allocating a power plug to plug into the TDM400P for example, as IBM
gives you an extra long periphrial power cable that easily reached to the
back of the rack case.

You do have to download IBM's ServeRaid boot disk to create the array - you
have to do this before you install Linux, but that worked fine. FC2 supports
ServeRaid out of the box.

So, with the 2 X servers + 2 X T100P + 2 TDM400P's my total outlay was just
under $3000 Cdn and I have emulated our Mitel ICP3300 dialplan exactly, plus
with a few new wrinkles (RAD / call overflow emulation, which is not
supported in the ICP3300, was a no brainer to do in the Asterisk dialplan. I
have cordless phones working as extensions which the 3300 is *supposed* to
support but doesn't really. I have SIP phones running in remote locations
which the 3300 supports, but only with *their* firewall, with *their* phones
and double-licenses). I have a production box and a development box. I
control the system. I don't have to pay for licenses anymore or crazy
hardware pricing. All for an order of magnitude less $$ than the 3300. My
boss is impressed all to hell. I'm happy.

My only complaint is sidetone, it varies depending on client and how the
call terminates, so I'm on an echo hunt. Once I get it controlled, time to
punt the 3300. Anyone want it?