[Asterisk-Users] PowerEdge 17500 with TDM400P - 4 FXO -- NMI, loud noise when dialing out

Andrei (MPI) asterisk at markovprocesses.com
Thu Nov 18 10:25:57 MST 2004

Hi Patrick,

Patrick wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 14:44 -0500, Andrei (MPI) wrote:
>

>>Hello All,
>>
>>Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions how to
>>resolve the following situation. My configuration is:
>>- Dell PowerEdge 1750 (standard), one CPU Xeon 3.0GHz
>>- TDM400P with 4 FXO, connected to 4 regular phone lines (PSTN)
>>- Asterisk 1.0.0 from cvs
>>- Zaptel and Zapata latest from cvs
>>

>[snip]
>
>Afaik the preferred way is too use zaptel, libpri, asterisk and
>asterisk-addons either from the stable branch (cvs co -r v1-0 <modules>)
>or from HEAD (cvs co <modules>). You are mixing them. Get one or the
>other.

Good point. Thanks.

>Also make sure your Dell has the latest firmware installed for all
>components they offer newer firmware for. Solved some funky problems I
>dealt with a while back.

I am using latest firmware for all components.

>If you get any NMI errors, BIOS memory count that's off and really weird
>behavior, take out the memory modules and reseat them properly. Same
>applies to the CPU. Might as well do any cards while you are at it. And
>if you are really suspicious, check the seating of the cables too.
>Reseating the CPU and memory modules solved all our remaining problems.

That was my routine procedure, too.

I have tried this Digium card in two 1750 servers, which were working
fine for 3 months before. The NMI would be flagged on a server only at
the precise moment when zaptel drivers are loaded. I am not too crazy
about Dell's assembly quality, though it seems that Digium hardware /
drivers are the only source of  troubles here. It may be a compatibility
issue as well.

Now I still have NMI when loading drivers, though the loud-noise problem
did not appear for 24 hours now as I removed USB support from 2.4.27 kernel.

Thank you for your comment (the only one so far).

Sincerely,
Andrei (MPI)